Power Japan Plus Reveals New Ryden Dual Carbon Battery
Date: May 13, 2014
Source: Power Japan Plus
New battery design balances the need for cost competitive energy storage that is energy dense, reliable, safe and sustainable
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. — May 13, 2014 — Power Japan Plus today launched a new battery technology – the Ryden dual carbon battery. This unique battery offers energy density comparable to a lithium ion battery, but over a much longer functional lifetime with drastically improved safety and cradle-to-cradle sustainability. The Ryden battery makes use of a completely unique chemistry, with both the anode and the cathode made of carbon.
“Power Japan Plus is a materials engineer for a new class of carbon material that balances economics, performance and sustainability in a world of constrained resources,” said Dou Kani, CEO of Power Japan Plus. “The Ryden dual carbon battery is the energy storage breakthrough needed to bring green technology like electric vehicles to mass market.”
The Ryden battery balances a breadth of consumer demands previously unattainable by single battery chemistry, including performance, cost, reliability, safety and sustainability.
- High Performance – energy dense and charges 20 times faster than lithium ion batteries. It is also more powerful than other advanced batteries, operating above four volts.
- Cost Competitive – slots directly into existing manufacturing processes, requiring no change to existing manufacturing lines. Even more, the battery allows for consolidation of the supply chain, with only one active material — carbon. Additionally, manufacturing of the Ryden battery is under no threat of supply disruption or price spikes from rare metals, rare earth or heavy metals.
- Reliable – first ever high performance battery that meets consumer lifecycle demand, rated for more than 3,000 charge/discharge cycles.
- Safe – safest high performance battery chemistry ever developed. The Ryden battery eliminates the unstable active material used in other high performance batteries, greatly reducing fire and explosion hazard. Even more, the battery experiences minimal thermal change during operation, eliminating the threat of a thermal runaway. Finally, the Ryden battery can be 100 percent charged and discharged with no damage to the battery.
- Sustainable – contains no rare metals, rare earth metals or heavy metals, and is 100 percent recyclable, vastly improving the cradle-to-cradle sustainability of an advanced battery. Even further, Power Japan Plus is testing the Ryden battery with its organic Carbon Complex material, working towards the goal of producing the battery with all organic carbon in the future.
“Current advanced batteries have made great improvement on performance, but have done so by compromising on cost, reliability and safety,” said Dr. Kaname Takeya, CTO of Power Japan Plus. “The Ryden dual carbon battery balances this equation, excelling in each category.”
Path to Market
Power Japan Plus will begin benchmark production of 18650 Ryden cells later this year at the company’s production facility in Okinawa, Japan. This facility will allow the company to meet demand for specialty energy storage markets such as medical devices and satellites. For larger demand industries, such as electric vehicles, Power Japan Plus will operate under a licensing business model, providing technology and expertise to existing battery manufacturers to produce the Ryden battery.
Power Japan Plus is developing the dual carbon battery technology in partnership with Kyushu University in Fukuoka, Japan. Kyushu University is one of the top ranked material science and engineering research universities in the world. For more information, please visit: http://www.kyushu-u.ac.jp/english/index.php
Beyond the dual carbon battery, Power Japan Plus is creating a new, drop-in material with the world’s first and only organic carbon material – Carbon Complex. Made of naturally grown organic cotton, Carbon Complex wields unique properties not seen in other carbon material. By controlling the size of the carbon crystals during production, Power Japan Plus can engineer the Carbon Complex for a variety of high performance applications.
Power Japan Plus will exhibit at the Electric Drive Transportation Association Conference & Annual Meeting in Indianapolis, Indiana on May 20-21, 2014. You can visit Power Japan Plus at booth #112.
Chief Marketing Officer
Power Japan Plus